Family

Family

Saturday, September 10, 2011

MY BACK GROUND AND TESTIMONY OF HOW I BECAME A CHRISTIAN

Church Building - Kitwe Chapel
 Born 28 years ago on the 28th April, I was privileged to be brought up in a Christian family. Both my mum and dad were born again Christians. My dad was working for Scripture Union as a Traveling Secretary. I had been exposed to the gospel from infancy as we used to have family devotions and I enjoyed going to church for Sunday school and Holiday Bible Week at Kitwe Chapel


My early life as a small boy in the 1984
 I for one, thought that by going to church and doing all the good deeds would make me a Christian. I kept this in mind until one day in March 1993 my elder sister professed Christ and she began to gradually change from doing bad and pursuing good. I knew in my heart that I had not been living an upright life but then when I saw my elder sister’s change, I thought to myself, “My sister has changed, if I don’t change, my sister will not be comfortable to be found with me” So I woke up one day and announced to everyone in the house that I am now a Christian like my elder sister. Little did I know that that was not true faith but just a way to accommodate myself with my sister and feel accepted.

One day the youth at Kitwe Chapel had a video show at the home of Mr. Misheck Daka who was an elder at the time, I hesitated to attend this meeting as I thought that I would feel out of place but my sister encouraged me and we finally went. The title of the movie was Pilgrim’s Progress.  Many of you may have seen the movie or read a book by John Bunyan

The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan
 John Bunyan was a Baptist preacher and author with little education but much vision and purpose. Briefly imprisoned for preaching without a license, he is believed to have begun writing the most famous Christian allegory, The Pilgrim’s Progress, while in jail. The Pilgrim’s Progress was published in 1678 (Part I) and 1684 (Part II). After watching this movie, I really felt the need of God in my life. Elder Daka after the movie came and sat next to me and we began to chat, he asked me a number of questions about my family, school and the movie we watched of which I answered. Then he popped a question saying ‘Obvious, are you a Christian?’ From the time I was born, this was the first time this question was brought to my attention; I then answered and said ‘yes’. He then further asked me to explain what I meant and I told him all the good things I had done and that I never missed Sunday school at church. He explained to me from scripture that we are all born sinners (Romans 3:23) and that we cannot do anything to save ourselves unless we confess our sins and believe that Jesus Christ in Lord. After our discussion, he advised me to think about these issues seriously and ask dad at home to help me. When I got home, I talked to my day and he also showed me from the Scriptures that no matter what I have done, God is faithful and just to forgive sin. I then prayed for myself confessing my sins and dad also prayed for me. I do not regret knowing God in a personal way and I thank all those that helped with regards to my salvation.

MR. Misheck Daka (Elder)
Mr. Wilson Kamanga (Dad)
Precious Kamanga (Sister)
I thank God for Mr. Misheck DaKa who found time off his busy schedule to talk to me after the movie we watched at his home. I also thank God for my dad Mr. Wilson Kamanga who has been and continues to be there for me, he brought me up in a manner that is godly and he prayed for me when I gave my life to God, he was quiet a busy man visiting schools while working for Scripture Union Zambia but he found time to be with his family. Last but not the least, I thank God for my late elder sister Precious Kamanga, she passed on two months ago on 10th July 2011 (MHSRIP), she is the one who convinced me to attend the Youth Video Show and without her I would not have watched the movie and talked to Mr. Daka. I thank you all for the great contribution you have made to make me what I am today.

Family Photo - 1988
Being the only boy in a family of four (4) children, I faced a lot of challenges with regards to having male friends, my friends were my three sisters and dad never allowed me to go and play outside the yard as the boys in the neighborhood where bullies. I only interacted with boys at church and school.

As years went by, I made a few friends at church and school. I started attending Scripture Union in Primary School though I was not very active. I never played football in school up until I reached my 6th grade, I never played much of it because I feared the big boys that would take advantage of the small boys and bully them.

In 1995, we moved to Theological College of Central Africa (TCCA) in Ndola where my dad was to do his Theology studies, I was in my 7th grade and it was the first time I was changing a school from Kitwe Primary School to Perseverance Primary School . While at TCCA, me and my sisters got included in the Bible club program for children where we were taught from scripture and how to live in line with the will of God. It was good as we interacted with a lot of children with different backgrounds and beliefs.


Bible Club Children at TCCA in 1995
We lived at TCCA for 4 years up to the time my dad completed his Theological Studies and graduated in December 1998. I did my Junior Secondary school at Kansenshi High School in Ndola and then got transferred to a boarding school in Southern Province. I did my grade 9 at Pemba Secondary School. We then moved back to Kitwe and dad continued working for Scripture Union. He work for another 2 years and then went into full time ministry in April 2000.


Mr. Wilson Kamanga and his family on his graduation day December 1998
Mr. Wilson Kamanga answered a call to ministry in April 2000 at Choma Central Baptist Church and I was privileged to be baptized by him together with my youngest sister Phoebe on 24th September 2000. I moved to Choma Secondary School where I did my Senior Secondary from grad 10 – 12. I got so much involved in the Scripture Union while at Choma High School and was the Chairman for Pilgrim’s Wesleyan Fellowship.

Church building – Choma Central Baptist Church
It is at Choma Central Baptist Church where I began to spear head the Youth Fellowship in 2001 and my spiritual gifts began to come out. We labored for the Lord in our outreach efforts to spread the gospel of Christ to the lost. Some homes we visited in Choma were hospitable while others did not want to hear anything from us.  We also had some youths from Kabwata Baptist Church visit us during the Easter weekend to help us in our evangelistic efforts.

Yours truly

Obvious Kamanga

No comments: